Harvest wine was also used as payment for work; many labourers were paid a shilling or two and a flagon of wine for a weeks work. In 1862, four years after the family had moved into the Springvale House, Francis sold everything; and left Watervale. The new owner was Captain (later Sir) Walter Watson Hughes who purchased the property for his nephew.
In March 1863, Captain Hughes, who had known Francis Treloar for many years, installed him as Manager. Captain Hughes planted more vines, and other farmers in the district followed. The beautiful stone cellars were established and Francis made the wine at Quelltaler. In 1868 a wine maker by the name of Carl Sobels was employed.
In 1889, 20 years after he inherited Springvale, James Richman sold the property to Carl Sobels and his brother in law Mr Hermann Buring. Sobels immediately instigated planned improvements and extensions. In 1896 Emil Sobels, 27, returned to Springvale to help his father Carl with the increasing work in the cellars. From 1898-1900, the legendary Leo Buring, second son of Hermann Buring, was a cellarhand at Quelltaler. On September 27, 1923 Carl Sobels died and was succeeded by his son Emil Sobels as Manager of the site. 1925 marked the arrival of electricity in the area. The mid North Electricity Company completed the lines and electric power was connected.